[ofw] Windows IB APIs
William Deck
2014-01-29 16:52:54 UTC
Hello All,

I am sure this question has been asked before however when I searched the
archives I could not find anything.

I am working on a Windows program that must connect to both Windows and Linux
machines across Infiniband. While first doing research I was told to use
NetworkDirect on Windows and rdma_cm/verbs on Linux to connect the two
systems. On initial tests I could not get the two systems to connect. Then
when I asked around I was told to use ib verbs on both the Windows and Linux.
So what I really want to know is what is the best API to use on Windows to
connect to a Linux system.

Thank you.

Will
Hefty, Sean
Deck, William
2014-01-29 17:30:31 UTC
I understand that NetworkDirect is the Microsoft supported API. But does that API allow connections to Linux or does that depend on the HCA Vendor?

Hefty, Sean
2014-01-29 17:33:19 UTC
AFAIK, it depends on the HCA vendor implementation of that interface. But, in theory, it should work with an application written to verbs/rdmacm on Linux.
Deck, William
2014-01-29 17:43:40 UTC
Thank you for that answer.

I noticed there were some Mellanox emails on the list and this question is for them. Does the Mellanox implementation of NetworkDirect allow connections from rdmacm/ib verbs? Or is there a specific Mellanox Windows API to use to connect to Linux?

Thanks.
Fab Tillier
2014-01-29 22:33:00 UTC
Hefty, Sean wrote on Wed, 29 Jan 2014 at 09:33:19
Post by Hefty, Sean
Post by Deck, William
I understand that NetworkDirect is the Microsoft supported API. But
does that API allow connections to Linux or does that depend on the
HCA Vendor?
AFAIK, it depends on the HCA vendor implementation of that interface.
But, in theory, it should work with an application written to
verbs/rdmacm on Linux.
I'll make a stronger statement here - if interop between Windows (via Network Direct) and Linux (via verbs/rdmacm) does not work, then there is a driver bug somewhere. You should be able to establish connections between a Windows Network Direct application and a Linux verbs/rdmacm application.

-Fab
Hefty, Sean
If ND does not mandate a specific wire protocol, then interoperability is left to the implementation of the provider.
Tziporet Koren
2014-01-30 05:49:05 UTC
Mellanox ND is interoperable with Linux RDMACM.
We also have a test that check this.

Dotan - can you share the test we use to ensure this?

I agree with Fab - if something is not working - there is a bug somewhere

Tziporet

Deck, William
2014-01-30 21:05:32 UTC
Using a modified HPC 2012 NDv2 sample program and a Linux rdmacm test program I have successfully opened a connection and done some I/O. I will be working on getting RDMAs to work and I will be sure to mention if I see any issues. Thank you everyone for your help.

--
Will

Tziporet Koren
2014-02-02 09:54:29 UTC
Thanks for the update.

BTW - which version of WinOF are you using?

Tziporet

Deck, William
2014-02-03 16:06:16 UTC
I am using 4.42 WinOF.